what i made | watercolor floral bathing suit bottoms

Tuesday, June 27, 2017


Whipped up some bathing suit bottoms in this beautiful fabric that I found at a local store here in San Diego, Yardage Town. I was very sad to hear that they don't know of the manufacturer of this swim fabric! I also made a one piece that you have seen time and time again, but more on that later.

I am also happy to report that I made a leap in skill level when attaching elastic. I haven't had this much success before! I just evenly stretched the elastic when attaching, and then topstitched ensuring not to stretch the fabric. This means that the elastic cannot be crazy tight on the opening that you attach it to, which some patterns call for. I find this method eliminates the crazy lettuce edge that often plagues home made swim pieces. Can't wait to show you the one piece, as well as the top that accompanies these bottoms!












2 comments

  1. Love this! It caught my eye because I made an Anna dress out of this very same fabric (http://www.madebymeg.us/2016/11/anna-dress-good-idea-bad-pattern.html). I didn't realize you could use it as a swimsuit. Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Isn't this fabric the best!! I can kinda get away from normal swim fabrics because I don't go in the water too much :) I still need to test a scrap in pool water to see how it does.

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© these days. Design by Fearne.